Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CANADIAN BACON !!!
Mar 21, 2005

Hi Dr. Bob!

I naturally assumed you were a Michael Moore fan given our mutual disdain for the Bush regime in the USA ( hence the title of my post ).

I know you get a lot of questions about oral, and I've read the archives in this regard. My question is more political in nature.What I would like your opinion is simply this: Barring any extreme circumstances ( ie. raw cuts/sores in mouth ) is there any REAL RISK associated with licking some Canadian Bacon (performing unprotected oral on a woman of unknown status? ) I've been through university and I realize that the medical litterature and centres for disease control are very conservative by nature. My question is, are the litterature and offical government bodies being overly conservative when it comes to oral sex in order to cover their respective asses? Is the risk merely asscociated with over-extenuating circumstances when it comes to oral sex, ie. blood involved etc..?

I ask only because in the age of HIV / AIDS it would be nice to know that we can still be intimate sexually when performing unprotected oral without having to be unnecessarily freaked out by our respective government bodies. Is there a real and genuine risk when I perform unprotected oral on a woman? Or have we lost all sexual innocence in this regard?

Dr. Bob for Canadian Prime Minister!!!!

Your hetero-pal in Vancouver, Sean

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Sean,

Considering how puritanical the U.S. Government has become lately, I strongly doubt its ass is ever, ever uncovered. You saw what happened when Janet had a wardrobe malfunction. All that ridiculous brouhaha over a boob. Can you imagine what would happen with an uncovered ass?

Regarding oral sex, the best we can say is that the risk is remarkably low. There still is at least a theoretical risk. "Extenuating circumstances" (extent of gingivitis, etc.) are difficult to completely delineate.

Sean, I do believe even in the age of HIV/AIDS we can still be sexually intimate and passionate without being unnecessarily freaked out. Just review what is known about the STD risk of various sexual practices and decide what level of risk you are willing to accept.

Finally, me as Canadian Prime Minister? Hmm, well at least Steve and I could get legally married there.

Stay well, Hetero-Pal. Don't let the government ruin your sex life!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Dr.Bob is THE BEST!
Next
You Were Right Dr. Bob -- Confirmatory Test Negative

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.