The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CD4 test question & HIV

Mar 18, 2005

Hi Doc

I asked my doctor to do a CD4 count even though I tested negative at 1 year. Many symptoms, diarrhea, dermatitis etc.. He very reluctantly agreed. He then told me over the phone the result was 'normal'. He told me that he didn't have a hard copy any more to send to me as the result was only on his computer. Then I got worried that maybe he didn't carry out the test at all because he didn't think it was necessary and just told me that everything was 'normal' without sending my blood to the lab. Do you think a doctor would do this? Do you think I am being irrational?

Response from Dr. Frascino


1. Do I think a doctor would do this? No, I certainly do not.

2. Do I think you should have had a CD4 count analysis performed in the first place? No, I certainly do not.

3. Do I think you are being irrational? Yes, I certainly do.

If you want a hard copy of your CD4 T-cell subset analysis, your doctor will be able to arrange to get this for you; however, more than likely, it will just lead you to additional worries as you attempt to interpret the numbers of a complicated test that has absolutely no bearing on your current problems. If you cannot accept the wonderful news of your HIV-negative status, I suggest you seek professional counseling, not unwarranted tests.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Farewell My Friends
Can a HIV Poz Person Can Stll Have Sex With A HIV Poz?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint