Blood donation 1992, tested positive to HIV2 antibodies

Told I can no longer donate blood, should I be getting any treatments? protection? Am I contageous to anyone? Will I be sick?

If you have been notified that you tested positive for HIV-2 antibodies following a blood donation, you should seed consultation with an HIV specialist. He or she will need to confirm if you are indeed HIV-2 positive. HIV-2 is a human retrovirus similar to HIV-1 that causes immune deficiency due to depletion of CD4 cells. It is found primarily in West Africa. Compared to HIV-1, HIV-2 is less transmissible (five- to eight-fold less efficient than HIV-1 in early-stage disease), is associated with lower viral loads and is associated with a slower rate of CD4 cell decline and clinical progression.

Should you be getting treatment? That depends on your CD4 count and HIV-2 viral load.

Are you contagious? Yes, safe sex and latex condom use are essential.

Will you get sick? I don't know. However, you can greatly increase your chances of staying healthy by working closely with an HIV/AIDS specialist. Don't delay.

Good luck! Stay well!

Rimming Risk
Concerned About Indeterminate Rapid Test. Are These Reliable?