Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

The ongoing window period debate
Mar 15, 2005

This is directly from the New York State Dept. of Health website and is part of a series of questions submitted from the CDC broadcast "Update on Rapid Testing for HIV" April 24, 2003:

Mount Sinai Medical Center How long does it take for HIV antibodies to develop in someone who has been exposed to HIV? If there is a gap in time how does the rapid test address this? It can take up to 3 months for HIV antibodies to develop in someone who is infected with HIV. This time frame is referred to as the window period. As with standard blood or oral fluid testing, in order to rule out HIV infection, an HIV rapid test should be performed three months after the last possible exposure.

Here is the link: http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/hivaids/rapid/quest.htm

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Thanks! Isn't that exactly what I've been saying for several years here on this Web site? Let me check the past several thousand questions I've posted, OK? Hang on a sec. Yep! Just as I had expected. It is indeed precisely what I've been preaching for years. Do you think the CDC finally tuned into our forum?

Thanks for sharing!

Stay informed. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
WooHoo?? Please say yes...
Next
I AM TOO EMBARESSED TO ASK DR.'S

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.