The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

got hiv from kissing

Mar 12, 2005

Dr. Bob

I am pretty sure that I got hiv from kissing a high risk girl. It turns out that I had a cut on my inner lip and deep kissed her for about an hour. # weeks later I came down with a very high fever , slight pink rash on my chest that went away after a few hours, sorethroat, and a drenching nightsweat when the fever broke after a day do to motrin. i continued to feel sick for about 4 days and then it went away. I dont know how to document this because when I went to the doc he said I had a virus and to rest but he would not worry about hiv. guess what hiv is a virus. What do you think is it possible that all of these symptoms could have been something else? Should I get tested?

Response from Dr. Frascino


You are "pretty sure" you got HIV from kissing. I'm very sure you did not.

If you feel you placed yourself at risk due to the cut on your inner lip and tonsil-hockey-marathon session with the high-risk hottie, then get tested at the three-month mark. I personally do not feel testing is absolutely warranted in this case, but it may well be the most efficient and effective way to calm your worries.

Finally, yes I do believe your symptoms were caused by something else. There are gazillions of viruses other than HIV that can cause similar symptoms, including the "common cold" and "flu" viruses.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

U R WoNdErFuL, Dr. BoB!!
Can surgery affect/delay seroconversion - 2nd attempt

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint