Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Am I nuts Dr Bob?
Mar 11, 2005

Hi Dr Bob... First off....I love your sense of humor but also your professionalism. I am newly dx (Dec, 04) - I was wondering how you go about not waking up with your HIV status being the first thing on your mind. I am not obsessed about it but it is always on my mind. Do I have no life to be thinking this way all the time? My numbers are good right now and am on no meds - maybe its fear of the unknown???? Can I have your feedback please? Thanks..

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

The first thing on my mind when I wake up? That would be coffee, definitely coffee. My HIV status doesn't even make it into the top 100 list! But remember, I've been positive since January 1991. You, on the other hand, are "newly diagnosed." Don't be so hard on yourself. A period of adjustment to your new reality is to be expected and is a "healthy" way to respond. Your existence must now be seen through the prism of being HIV positive and that does indeed take some getting used to. Don't be fearful of the unknown. After all, everyone's life is a series of unscheduled events. In fact, in the game of life, as in a game of cards, you cannot choose the cards you are dealt. However, you can choose how to play those cards. So if you wake up tomorrow with HIV on the brain, just think of me instead and head for the nearest coffee shop.

Stay well. Let's get through this together, OK? Now, could you pass the cream, please?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Anal warts causation & post-surgery effects
Next
Thank you, Important question that may help others.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.