Am I nuts Dr Bob?

Hi Dr Bob... First off....I love your sense of humor but also your professionalism. I am newly dx (Dec, 04) - I was wondering how you go about not waking up with your HIV status being the first thing on your mind. I am not obsessed about it but it is always on my mind. Do I have no life to be thinking this way all the time? My numbers are good right now and am on no meds - maybe its fear of the unknown???? Can I have your feedback please? Thanks..

The first thing on my mind when I wake up? That would be coffee, definitely coffee. My HIV status doesn't even make it into the top 100 list! But remember, I've been positive since January 1991. You, on the other hand, are "newly diagnosed." Don't be so hard on yourself. A period of adjustment to your new reality is to be expected and is a "healthy" way to respond. Your existence must now be seen through the prism of being HIV positive and that does indeed take some getting used to. Don't be fearful of the unknown. After all, everyone's life is a series of unscheduled events. In fact, in the game of life, as in a game of cards, you cannot choose the cards you are dealt. However, you can choose how to play those cards. So if you wake up tomorrow with HIV on the brain, just think of me instead and head for the nearest coffee shop.

Stay well. Let's get through this together, OK? Now, could you pass the cream, please?

Anal warts causation & post-surgery effects
Thank you, Important question that may help others.