Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CDC freaking me out... need real answer!
Mar 11, 2005

Dear Doc.,

I called the CDC help line about an encouter I had a week ago, and the guy on the phone left me freaked out and desperate for answers! Somebody needs to tell those guys not to be so "doomsday"!

I rubbed a female prositute's genitals with my fingers and inserted my fingers into her vagina about an inch. The whole episode lasted about five minutes and then I came to my senses. We didn't do anything else and my fingers seem to be health, no broken skin except for a tiny two-day old scab near where the fingernail meets the skin.

Am I at risk? If so, how bad?

Do I need to get tested?

Thanks a million!!!

Kind regards,

Crazy with fear

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Crazy With Fear,

The good news is that HIV cannot cross intact skin (or a tiny two-day old scab). Check the archives, as I've discussed this many times over the years.

The bad news is that I have no control over the CDC's (or anyone else's) "doomsday" attitude.

Are you at significant risk for HIV from letting your fingers do the walking? No, I do not believe you are.

Do you need to be tested? That decision is ultimately always up to you. The best I can offer is to let you know if you've had a significant risk or not. And from what you've told me, I don't believe you have. However, if you feel you've placed yourself at risk for HIV, then the option for testing always remains open to you.

Good luck! Although I doubt you really need it!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Having Seroconversion Symptoms Despite PEP
Next
Anal warts causation & post-surgery effects

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.