CDC freaking me out... need real answer!

Dear Doc.,

I called the CDC help line about an encouter I had a week ago, and the guy on the phone left me freaked out and desperate for answers! Somebody needs to tell those guys not to be so "doomsday"!

I rubbed a female prositute's genitals with my fingers and inserted my fingers into her vagina about an inch. The whole episode lasted about five minutes and then I came to my senses. We didn't do anything else and my fingers seem to be health, no broken skin except for a tiny two-day old scab near where the fingernail meets the skin.

Am I at risk? If so, how bad?

Do I need to get tested?

Thanks a million!!!

Kind regards,

Crazy with fear

Hi Crazy With Fear,

The good news is that HIV cannot cross intact skin (or a tiny two-day old scab). Check the archives, as I've discussed this many times over the years.

The bad news is that I have no control over the CDC's (or anyone else's) "doomsday" attitude.

Are you at significant risk for HIV from letting your fingers do the walking? No, I do not believe you are.

Do you need to be tested? That decision is ultimately always up to you. The best I can offer is to let you know if you've had a significant risk or not. And from what you've told me, I don't believe you have. However, if you feel you've placed yourself at risk for HIV, then the option for testing always remains open to you.

Good luck! Although I doubt you really need it!

Having Seroconversion Symptoms Despite PEP
Anal warts causation & post-surgery effects