Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please Post - for all worried wells
Mar 9, 2005

Hey Dr. Bob,

First off, thank you for all the work you do, you're an inspiration and a voice of hope for a lot of scared people. I've posted a couple times and never got responses, hopefully this one makes it under the radar.

For the last 3.5 months I've been a prototypical worried well. I had unprotected oral sex with a call girl, and after facing the guilt of having cheated on my girlfriend, I've been torturing myself with anxiety ever since.

I was convinced I caught HIV from her. Complained to doctors of swollen glands, thought HIV was living in my salivary glands after they were swollen for no apparent reason - wasn't mumps. Then 5.5 weeks after the potential exposure, I experienced all the classic symptoms of ARS - high grade fever, aches, chills, sweats, joint pain, etc. with a really swollen sore throat.

I almost quit my job - I work in TV and have had to be on the road most of the time, and I wasn't sure I could make it. I'd made things even harder on me and my girlfriend than they had to be. I was convinced I had caught HIV against the better judgment of all my friends, all my doctors, and of course you and all the advice you've given to countless others.

FInally, this week, I built up the courage to get tested and sure enough, it was negative. Can I get a Dr. Bob WOO-HOO?

The point for this message is for anyone else reading this who is in a similar situation to mine. There's no way around it, you're going to have to wait until the window period is over to know for sure. Until then, if you let it happen, your mind will continue playing tricks on you. Anti-anxiety medication - i.e. xanax, vistaril, etc. - can help but surfing the internet and obsessing over things only a qualified doctor and a lab can confirm does not.

I'm now trying to get on with my life, and I hope my donation to your foundation finds a way to help others.

Best,

Former worried well in TX

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Former Worried Well in TX,

OK, I can understand your not believing the "better judgment of all your friends and all your doctors." But gosh, you didn't even believe "all the advice I've given to countless others???" What else can I do? Perhaps offer a money-back guarantee if not fully satisfied with your test results?

Thank you for your donation. Yes, your one gift will touch many lives. I also "guarntee" you'll feel the beneficial effects of your generosity and compassion in helping others desperately in need.

Stay well and WOO-de-frickin'-HOO!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Suspicious man
Next
WOO-HOO! and what a fantastic support

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.