Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Give me some definite info please
Mar 7, 2005

Hey Dr Bob,

First, you are doing an awesome job, I am glad I found you. I just donated $ 50 to your efforts.

I am a 22 year old hetero male. On Feb 6, 2005, I had a blowjob from a sex worker. The blowjob itself was protected, she used a condom, which stayed intact. Any risk of HIV from that ? I believe NO, right?

Also, she licked and sucked my balls in the process. What if I have minor cuts and openings on the skin of my scrotum? Can the HIV in saliva enter my bloodstream through them?? Should I get tested for HIV at all?

It has been slightly more than 2 weeks now since then, the time ppl usually start getting ARS. Now, I have a sore throat and I think swallen glands. No fever yet. I have some muscle ache and fatigue also. I am starting to freak out !!!

I could not sleep for a couple of nights, so decided to ask here even at the risk of pissing you off.

I am more worried because I had sex with a prostitute mid-October last year. But I tested for that at 16 and 1/2 weeks later and that came back Negitive, so I thought I was done with that. Is it possible to have seroconversion for that so late?

See, the thing is, I had my right kidney removed last August. Now I have always functioned on my left kidney only (congenetal defect that was not detected earlier) and I surely remeber the doc did not prescribe me any Immune-suppressing meds. But today I read somewhere that kidney transplant patients have suppressed immune systems. Do I fit that description? I tried to contact the urologist but he has no time before end-March. (I have never used drugs or taken chemo).

Please, please tell me I am not seroconverting either from the first or the second act of my stupidity, I am just too young to die!!

Thanks doc, I will contribute more to your efforts when I get my tax returns back this year.

Yours, BG.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello BG,

OK, here's your definite info, as requested!

1. Assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not break, you risk of HIV transmission would be essentially nonexistent.

2. Oral contact with the scrotum and testicles is not considered a risk for HIV transmission, even if you had "minor cuts and openings on the skin."

3. Only you can decide whether to get tested. The best I can offer is to tell you if there's been a significant risk to warrant testing. From what you've told me, I do not believe you had a significant risk.

4. No, you are not seroconverting from your Oct. 2004 or Feb. 2005 adventures.

5. Having a kidney removed does not make you a "kidney transplant" patient. That would be adding, not subtracting a kidney.

6. Thank you for your contribution!

By the way, whatever made you think asking me a question would "piss me off?"

Finally, you state, "Please, please tell me I am not seroconverting either from the first or the second act of my stupidity . . . ." OK, you are not seroconverting either from the first or the second act of your stupidity!

Stay safe. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Thank you, Dr. Bob!
Next
Ritalin and HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.