Reused lancet at test site?

Dear Dr Bob, First let me praise you for you work here. I have learned much from this website. The main problem I seem to have is that even though I seem to know the facts of what is and what is not risky I am still scared. Initially 8 years ago I had protected vaginal sex and unprotected receptive oral sex with a stripper in Montreal. The fear consumed me for 8 years and no matter how much reassurance I got from this site and the cdc hotline and my doctor I was too scared to get tested. I was just waiting for full blown aids to kick in. I finaly got the courage about 5 weeks ago to get tested through my doctors office. It was going to take 2 weeks for the results and I was a wreck. I was taking ativan for anxiety and found a test site that offered oraquick 20 min tests. Sorry for the rambling here is my question/s. 1) If there was infected blood on a reused lancet that was then used on me for my test, would I be infected? 2) Would the oraquick test pick up the hiv antibodies from the lancet if it were reused? 3)How big would swollen lymph nodes be? 4) Could you make them sore by searching for them many times a day? I know you are busy and my questions are probably insane but I can't find these answers anywhere. I'm just scared that somehow I'm going to infect my wife and kids. By the way I too will be donating to your foundation as much as I can afford. My heart goes out to anyone who is affected by any disease and in pain and need. Thanks Dr Bob, Terrified in Boston

Hello Terrified in Boston,

Here's what we need to do. You need to pretend you are Nicholas Cage and I'm going to pretend I'm Cher and together we're going to act out a scene from Moonstruck. OK? Ready? Lights! Camera! Action!!!

BAM! Cher bitch-slaps Nicholas Cage and in a full-throated, ferociously committed Oscar Award-winning moment yells, "SNAP OUT OF IT!!!"

There, now don't you feel better??? I certainly do.

Yes, your questions and fears are completely irrational. Consequently, I'll be brief. You had a minimal potential exposure eight years ago and despite reassurance form this site, the CDC hotline and your doctor, you have remained "too scared to get tested . . . just waiting for full-blown AIDS to kick in." SNAP OUT OF IT!

Yes, waiting for test results is anxiety provoking; however, as I mentioned, your potential exposure was minimal at best and your fears, way out of proportion to any imaginable risk. SNAP OUT OF IT!

No, you are not going to get infected form taking an OraQuick test. SNAP OUT OF IT! I strongly suggest you:

1. Ask your doctor for a referral for counseling to help you confront and cope with your irrational fears.

2. Reread the entire archives of this forum.

3. Watch Moonstruck three times in a row.

4. Get tested and realize once and for all you are negative.

5. Yell WOO-HOO and write back to this forum explaining how utterly ridiculous you feel, having wasted the past eight years of your life in needless, completely unwarranted worry. We'll be waiting!

Thanks for your donation and willingness to help others who are struggling with the enormous challenges of HIV/AIDS.

Good luck, Boston-Buy.

Went to a naughty Blockbuster...Please help Dr. Bob!
Seen The Light