Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Personal Question
Mar 6, 2005

Dr. Bob, Are most of your friends gay? Do you associate with straight people and consider them friends? The reason I ask is that I was doing volunteer work for a HIV/AIDS task force and almost all of the people that were on staff were gay and didnt really like the straight people that volunteered. It was a really weird thing. They would talk about being straight as "weird" and didnt want the company of straight people. Do you think this is normal, or do you think that maybe this is defensivness because of the straight people that picked on them over the years?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Are most of my friends gay? Now that's a bizarre question! My friends are my friends, be they gay, straight or bi-questioning.

Do I associate with straight people and consider them friends"" Of course I do, you silly goose.

I have no idea why you had the experience you did while volunteering. Were you perhaps wearing a "Jerry Falwell for President" Tee shirt?

Do I think it's ludicrous for gays to stereotype straights as weird and to not want to associate with them?" Absolutely.

Do I think it's equally ludicrous for straights to stereotype "gays" as weird and to not want to associate with them (or allow them equal rights)? Again, the answer is absolutely.

So, do you want to be my friend? Great! But you'll have to take the Tee shirt off first.

Thanks for volunteering. Talk to those other volunteers again. Maybe they weren't being defensive, but rather just sizing you up for a "queer eye" fashion makeover!

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
you are an inspiration
Next
I PISSED OFF Dr.BOB in WW HELL

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.