Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Very Concerned! Peripheral neuropathy an early of HIV??
Mar 1, 2005

Dr. Bob,

Hi There! I think this service you provide for everyone is amazing. I think my symptoms are different so hopefully you can have a few minutes to answer me. My question: is Numbness in the hands and feet an early sign of HIV? I have read through the archives and dont see much information on this symptom. What are your thoughts on numbness/tingling being an early sign of HIV. I read that this can be caused by meds in later stages with of HIV. Any remote chance this can be the only symptom someone shows. I never have had the other symptoms people mention during thr ARS phase.

Ive had this issue for about 5 months which started shortly after a low risk exposure. I know how you say you cant catch HIV from Oral Sex but I am very very concerend. The reason being is this feeling started shortly after this event. If its not HIV what other dieases can cause this non stop feeling in my hands and feet. The only other thing bothering me is a buzzing/ocean sound in my right ear. Tinnitus maybe? any link between the 2 symptoms? They both started 1 week after the 2 minute blowjob. I am a male the I was with a women.

Hopefully you can put my mind at ease. I will be sending $100 to your foundation. Hopefully that willbe enough to help make a difference. PLEASE RESPOND

Regards to you and your family!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Numbness of the hands and feet is not an early sign of HIV.

Buzzing ocean noises in the right ear are not signs of HIV.

The numbness/tingling and buzzing/ocean symptoms are not linked and not related to HIV.

Oral sex carries a very low risk for HIV transmission. If you've been concerned about an exposure and it's been five months, why not just get HIV tested? The results are available within 20 minutes, using rapid tests. That's certainly the quickest way to put your fears to rest.

Thank you for your very generous donation! Your one gift will touch many lives.

Good luck, although I really doubt you'll need it. I'll be on the lookout for your formal "WOO-HOO!"

Dr. Bob

Previous
I KNOW, SO WHY WAIT..?
Next
tested positive for mono now worried cant sleep

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.