|A River Runs Through It.....
Feb 26, 2005
Hi Doctor Bob, Here we go again. It's your old friend River (UPS guy, Receptive oral with some fluid, pre-cum or cum -not sure) I am officially one of your panic stricken, anxiety ridden, tormented, fearful, symptom-creating worried well readers. DAMN. Why do we do this?? I'm 4 weeks out and have developed a whole spectrum of symptoms that I can't even begin to define. It would be pointless anyway. I've read post after post, over and over, hanging on your words like "astronomically in your favor" and "I would take that bet that you will be woo-hooing". and "extremely low risk". I dont know what else to do. Why do we continually do this to ourselves? Why can't we learn from past mistakes? Why must we spend three months in hell for a few minutes of pleasure? How can we continue to live this way??
OK, I took a xanax...on to my legitimate questions. Has anyone ever written back to tell you they are positive after oral being their only exposure? you answered this question in regards to insertive, but not receptive oral sex. I know there are documented cases, but have you seen any in your practice? Secondly, do people really use condoms for oral sex? Really?
Lastly, and shelfishly, could you send me some Karma? There are hundreds (or thousands)of emails that go un-answered because of your volume of mail. I dont mean to take up your time. Thanks for answering my qestions and helping us all.
| Response from Dr. Frascino
Hello Panic-Stricken, Anxiety-Ridden, Tormented, Fearful, Symptom-Creating, Worried-Well Reader (a.k.a. "River"),
1. I'm sure glad you took a Xanax.
2. No, no one has ever written back to tell me he or she seroconverted following oral sex, insertive or receptive. Nor have I ever seen this in my years of clinical practice. Yes, I'm aware of the reported cases in the medical literature.
3. Yes, some people do indeed use condoms for oral sex. Many prostitutes insist on them. That said, there are many other folks who feel that the low-risk of HIV transmission associated with oral sex is a risk they are willing personally to accept.
4. Can I send you some cosmic karma? Sure, buddy, it's on its wayspecial delivery!
5. I do think you are being far too hard on yourself. I mean, after all, it was the UPS Guy!!!!
6. I believe your risk is "extremely low." I'd "take a bet that you'll be WOO-HOOing soon." The odds remain "astronomically in your favor," just as they are astronomically against everyone else's favor that they will get a "special delivery" from a UPS Guy like yours!
Stay calm, River-Guy. I'm predicting smooth sailing, not white water rapids ahead.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Can Healthy People Get Thrush Without Hiv Or Cancer?
- Do I Have To Take A Hiv Test For Immigration Change Of Status Or Marriage In The Usa?
- Doctors That Treat Candidiasis?
- How Severe Are Hiv Symptoms?
- Can You Get Hepatitis C If You Use A Condom During Sex?
- How To Get Prescription Marinol?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.