Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Confused and DEPRESSED for way too long.........
Feb 19, 2005

Hello Dr. Bob, I've been reading your posts religously for a year now after my scare with HIV. I know you recieve alot of questions about HIV, but if you could answer my question I can finally move on with my life after a year of anxiety. One year ago I had unprocted sex with a women from the Philippines twice needless to say HIV has been on my mind ever since, especially since my brother is living with HIV. I had and still have all the symptoms everyone writes about in their posts to you from swollen lymph nodes, rash covering my entire body, sore throats, fevers, gastroinstestinal problems for a year now and constant cancer sores in my mouth. Like all scared and irrational people I have had around 9 HIV tests all negative out to a year from possible exposure. Enough about me now to my question. Do all the ELISA tests and I've taken alot including HIV-1 and HIV-2 tests detect all the different forms, types, subtypes, and strains of the disease. I'm sure there are other people on this site that would like to know this same question that continually read your straight forward and honest answers to questions that may seem trivial at times but truley give many people the peace of mind they've been seeking for much too long the same peace of mind myself has been seeking for much much much too long. Lastly, I would just like to say you my friend are a great american you remind me so much like my brother also looking at life with a positive attitude and effecting other peoples lives more than words can say. The service you provide for others is priceless. I hope and pray you live a long and happy life Dr. BoB. Folks, give credit where credit is do this guys good period....

Your friend, Brian

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Brian,

If you've had nine HIV tests out to a year from the date of your possible exposure, we can very conclusively state you are HIV negative. I cannot specifically say what strains your particular HIV tests covered, as I have no way of knowing which tests you had performed. However, most FDA-approved HIV-1/HIV-2 ELISA tests are very comprehensive and highly accurate. For specific strain coverage, you would need to contact the laboratory that ran the test.

Should you immediately WOO-HOO and accept the wonderful news of your HIV-negative status? Absolutely! In fact, it's long overdue! That reminds me of my favorite African proverb: The best time to plant a tree is 10 years ago. The next best time is now.

Stay well. Give your brother a hug from me.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Please Help me move on for good, Bob...
Next
discontinue PEP 1 week early?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.