New to gay life, afraid of HIV

Dr. Bob-

I've enjoyed reading your forum over the years. It's given me some courage to explore my sexuality, come out of the closet, pursue relationships. One thing is nagging at me though. I had a sexual encounter with a guy who "barebacks". Two weeks before I was with him, he had a "nasty flu" with high fever, sore throat...ect. All we did was french kiss (i bit the inside of my lip during dinner)), he rimmed me, we both came on his chest. These seemed like low risk activities to me. Ten days later I came down with a low fever and raspy throat, this progress to a nasty sore throat a week later with swollen glands white patches on my uvula and the back of my throat. Tests for Mono, strep, std's all came back negative. I had an HIV test seven weeks after the event, negative. A counselor at the std clinic suggested that, based on my risk factor, even though the hiv test was not definitive, did not even warrant a test in the first place. It's been a year since I took the test and I'm wondering wether or not I should have tested out to 12 weeks, I haven't had a sore throat like before except when I was infected with strep. Just concerned he might have been going through seroconversion when we were together, putting me at greater danger. I'm started to date a great guy, and don't feel I can tell him I'm truly HIV negative. Excuse the rambling, I'm typing this rather late in the evening. Thank you and Take care

I agree your risk would be extremely low and with your negative HIV test at seven weeks the chances you are HIV positive are nearly nonexistent. However if you are worried, and apparently you are, why not just get tested, get your definitive WOO-HOO and take Mr. Right somewhere special to celebrate, even if you don't mention exactly what you're celebrating?

Good luck, although I doubt you'll need it!

nevermind my "Panic-stricken" question
BDSM/dominatrix and HIV