Worried Sick

Dr. Bob-- You have gotten me through the past six weeks and I thank you for your time & efforts on this site! I've written before, but to no avail....Please respond (I know....archives!, But I need to hear it from you directly), as I am worried sick about receiving a hand job & protected oral sex from a stripper while in Eastern Canada on a "guys" road trip. Condom was on the full time until climax. No other type of sex at all. I'm a college educated proffesional person and this was supposed to be one final hurrah before settling down. However, I feel as if I've risked it all from one drunken night in a strip club. I'm ready to get enagaged, but don't want to put my fiance in any degree of risk from this exposure...please help! I've been putting off sex since this happened and keep regretting it every day. I also keep getting mixed messages from the CDC and various other HIV hotlines. CDC gives different advice daily depending on who is working. One counselor said I'm at risk, while another one said to get a beer & a condom and go back and do it again because it was a safe activity! Canadian counselors have taken a different approach from the CDC and went as far to say that there is no way anyone could get HIV from insertive oral even without a condom on. In my instance (receiving protected oral)the canadian woman on the phone said I have a better chance of an alien falling on my head than I do of getting HIV from this. I am fairly liberal, but this canadian counselor took being liberal to a whole new level!!!

Anyways,I took an HIV test after 30 days and it was negative......I am struggling through the days counting down until the third month arrives .......The encounter happened 6 weeks ago. No fever, no rash, mild sore throat, but my mind has been spinning day & night. Please Dr. Bob, convince me that if that stripper had HIV (which I don't know), that I would be at no risk from what I did. ** Should the 30 day negative result reassure me that I do not have HIV from this encounter & that I am worrying for nothing?

**Do I need to take another test after two months, three months?

** Is it safe to resume regular sexual relations with my girlfriend?

Please throw me a bone Dr. Rob (figuratively speaking) and shoot me out an answer.

Donation to follow.

Thanks, Worried in Pennsylvania

Hi Worried in Pennsylvania,

Your getting conflicting advice about the HIV risk of a handjob and protected oral sex? Who are you calling for advice? Jerry Falwell? The Vatican? Saturday Night Live's Church Lady?

My advice is simple:

1. Stop calling HIV hotlines.

2. Stop searching HIV Web sites.

3. Stop testing for a disease that you do not have.

4. Watch out for falling aliens.

HIV is not your problem. Get some counseling if you are having problems with guilt or coping with irrational fears of HIV.

Feel better, OK?

Thanks for your donation.

To the doc...but for everyone
You are Right!