To the doc...but for everyone

Dear Dr. Bob- this post is sent to you, but it is meant for everyone to read...Here is my story...3 months ago I had what I perceived to be a risky encounter..in actuality it was 35 seconds of protected sex, but we all know how are mind can twist things...two weeks later I started freeking out, before I ever felt (or believed to feel) any symptoms I had convinced myself I had contracted HIV...then I had a single night of night sweats accompanied by a fever of 99.5...well you can guess what came next, yup you guessed it, constant internet searching and relentless dr. bob queries. As time progressed I became even more convinced I was +, I developed mouth ulcers and was convinced I had thrush and/or OHL, to make a long story short...my life sucked for 3 months...I took my test today and guess what...NEGATIVE..WOOOHHHOOOOOOOOOO!!! I have never felt such relief...Ok, bear with me I got a few more things left to say...Being that I threw away 3 months of my life, the time I should have spent enjoying my senior year of college was spent worrying and searching the internet for answers to questions that had NO ANSWERS...So this is what I have learned..I hope some of you out there who are like myself can take some solace in my words and learn from my mistakes...here we go... A. If your on this site, chances are your not a doctor...therefore you have no buisness diagnosing yourself, its a waste of time and no good comes from it for the simple fact that us worry wells are too busy thinking irrationaly to make objective decisions on our own health doctors go to med school for a reason. 2. The Internet is a great tool for learning, keeping up with old friends, poker, porn, ha, whatever your into..However it comes with some serious pittfalls, particcularly in the area of illnesses...You can symptom search forever and the internet will somehow convince your mind that you are seeing symptoms that do not exist or, more likely,are brought on from endless worrying/stress...I swear to g-d I am convinced that if someone started a website titled www.symptomsofhiv.com and claimed that a common symptom of HIV was horns coming out of your head, we would see a barage of posts saying somehting like this.."dr. Bob...I shook hands with a prostitute...two weeks later I had a cough, headache..and when i look close I see Horns coming out of my head!! I know i am +!!!" Bottom line, dont do it to yourself. 3. I made the terrible mistake of doing all of this and more to myself, please do not do the same, life is too much fun to spend it worrying over something thats out of our control..enjoy life and do what you gotta do to make sure your safe.

Dr. Bob- I want to thank you for everything, you are truly a great person, I owe you more then you know...Expect a donation once a month from this college kid here on out and for it too grow once i graduate and actually have some of that, how you say? Money! -X filer applying for a lifetime membership.

P.s. I always find it funny reading your political banter in regards to our president, correct me if im wrong but didnt your governer play a leading role in Kindergarten Cop?!

Three months of needless worry, anxiety and useless Internet searching, all related to 35 seconds of "protected sex???" Hmmm, even "kindergarten cop" should have taught you better than that!

Congrats! WOO-HOO's and thanks for sharing your experience and advice.

Oh, and by the way, regarding your hypothetical case from www.symptomsofhiv.com with the horns . . . well, as it turns out, most of the folks writing to my tend to get "horny" first, then the HIV stuff comes a bit later.

I'm glad you like the occasional politics that tend to creep into this forum. As a college guy, you should know the derivation of the word politics. Right? Politics: "poli" means many and "tics" means blood-sucking insects.

OK, back to the books. Your X-Files membership has been approved.

Stay safe. Stay well.

Vous pouvez en rire ou en pleurer...mais moi j'en stress...!
Worried Sick