Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Scary scratch!
Mar 25, 2001

Hi Ryan, i have been very worried since i was scratch by a woman whenever she performance body massage to me, we didn't have sexual intercourse but only sliding over my body by her breast, and we didn;t touch each others' genital area exceot that she performed protected hand jon on me. i discovered the little scratch the day after with some very tiny little dried blood spot on the scractch.i have been frustuated with this for weeks. would you please help me by giving advice on the chance that i will be infected with HIV. the CDC ppl told me that the slight scratch ont the surface on the skin with some blood is not like the transmit the virus ((if any), as they said it is very unlikely that the woman's fingertips can have some blood or body fluid and the virus will die after contact with air) to the bloodstream. they said that scratch like this is not deep enough to transmit the virus to bloodstream. is that true ???? and do you think i will be infected by this incidence while CDC think it is very very small chance or none. i need your valuable opinion Ryan! Please make reply as i think many ppl be annoying by this as well...thanx Ryan!

Response from Mr. Kull

The counselors at the CDC are very skilled at their jobs. I trust their judgement and knowledge when providing information to the public. Therefore, if they said it is unlikely that you would be infected in this scratching incident, then I believe them.

Infected fluids need to come into contact with mucous membranes or the bloodstream for infection to be possible; even then, infection is not guaranteed. Superficial scratches are not likely to be a route for transmission, especially if infected fluids do not come into direct contact with the scratch (which would actually represent NO RISK for transmission). It sounds like there was little chance that this occurred in the incident you describe.

RMK

Previous
Last Resort
Next
cuts in lips

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.