The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Testing inside window period?!

Feb 12, 2005

I am irish, just back from Australia(where my sexual encounter happened) and I am going back to finish my tour. Encounter happened 2 months ago with thai male prostitute(unprotected insertive) and I have shown some signs of HIV infection. Loss of appetite, diarrhea, night sweats,tightness in chest, weakness in hands/feet. Also have tiny gential ulcer(painless). My question, numero 4, is it worth testing after 2 months and again at 3, and can I WOO-HOO after 3 months if negative. I am severly depressed, anxious and guilty over the whole incident and hope that some of my symptoms might be brought on by these feelings... I will forward a donation soon and thank you Dr. Bob for this site, it's excellent.

Response from Dr. Frascino


Unprotected insertive what? Oral? Anal? Both? At any rate, HIV testing prior to three months is not considered conclusive or definitive, so I'd suggest you wait for the three-month mark. I'd also suggest you have that "painless genital ulcer" checked out, as it may be a sign of several STDs that might require treatment. Counseling would also be recommended for the guilt, anxiety and depression.

I'll send you my very best cosmic karma that your tests will be negative and that you'll soon be WOO-HOOing more wildly than a crazed kookaburra!

Dr. Bob

'just wondering' post scared me senseless!!
I'll donate my entire bank account if Im negative

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint