Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

'just wondering' post scared me senseless!!
Feb 12, 2005

sent loads of the same message loads of times but now i'm particularly concerned.

i mean your exposure was hollow bore needle stick, which you knew at the time was 1 in 300. commendable you didn't brick it like some of the rest of us.

i developed what i thought/think are ars symptoms 4 weeks after the potential exposure. this included sore throat, back muscle pain, swollen and swollen lymph nodes. then i developed various mouth problems. all have gone away now bare the lymph nodes.

here comes the bit which probably makes you not want to reply....

....my exposure was a scab that came off around loads of other people ina crushed crowd, and my slashed jeans were covered in blood that side, meaning poentially it was my blood.

but what if it was someone else's? i've spoken to my gp, he says my symptoms were not worrisome and rated my exposure potential as about 1 in a billion and testing was negligible.

if you tell me not to test and i'm a nut nut, then i won't and i'll accept negative status. however if you think it's necessary i'll go and hope for the best.

come on doctor bob, i'm counting on you!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

"Nut, nut?" No. you're not a nut nut, but if you persist in perseverating on irrational impossible HIV exposures, you will eventually drive yourself nutty. Your risk is nonexistent. Testing is not warranted, in my opinion.

Dr. Bob

Previous
wondering about the effect of certain drugs {xanax, percoset, marijuana} on a hiv+ ppl
Next
Testing inside window period?!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.