Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

TRANSGENDER ENCOUNTER!!! FROM SPAIN!! Please HELP!! JUST DONANTED!!
Feb 12, 2005

Dear Dr. Bob

I need your help on this issue. You are the only person I can trust on!!! The other day I have made what I can consider the biggest mistake of my life!!! Do not ask me why, but I decided to see a transgender (I am married and never done anything similar before). He got in my car and performed protected oral sex on me (no worries here), however I touched his penis for maybe 1 minute while he was performing protected oral sex on me. I am sure that he never ejaculated, but I can not be sure I did not get in contact with some pre cum from him , any way if there was some there should not be a large amount since I never felt my hand wet. Well right after I touched him I took out my condom and I cleaned up my penis and my hand with a paper towel. That means that the amount of pre cum that may have been left on my hand after cleaning should be minimal. I then touched other things like my pants and other objects. The problem was that I then rubbed my eyes with the same hand I touched him. I believe that it had passed about 2 minutes between the moment I finished touching him and the moment I rubbed my eye. Now I am trying to access my risk of contracting HIV through this exposure. I am really scared and my judgment may be affected by the physiological impact of being with a Transgender. I know that the virus does not survive well in contact with air, but I do not know for how long it still can be potentially infectious. I know that the amount of potentially infectious fluid involved on my exposure was minimum, since I cleaned up my hand, but I do not know if it was sufficient to infect me. I also assume that when we rub our eyes we tend to close them, therefore my finger mostly contacted intact skin and maybe a small area entered in contact with my mucous membrane. I think the there is a high probability that fluid was already dry when I touched my eyes, since there was such a minimum amount of fluid that should dry very quick. Even assuming all of these I still think I was at risk, but what I really wanted to think is that there is no risk. I called CDC, and they told me there was no risk, but they could not explain me why. Please help me Dr. Bob!!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

I totally agree with the CDC on this one. No risk.

As for "why," you answered your own question: "I know that virus does not survive well in contact with air . . . amount of potentially infectious fluid involved in my exposure was minimal . . . my finger mostly contacted intact skin . . . high probability that fluid was already dry when I touched my eyes."

I also think you are absolutely correct when you say "I am really scared and my judgment may be affected by the physiological impact of being with a transgender." However, I'd change physiological to psychological. I suggest you get some counseling to help you sort out your guilt, your fears and your anxiety. HIV is not your problem.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
How to start having sesx again
Next
ANSWER TO COMMENTS WOULD YOU EXPLAIN TO ME THIS DR BOB.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.