just wondering!!

Dr.Bob, Just curious, Did u gou throught what many of the ppl who write on this website went through? wondering if they were HIV- or what?.. ps..still waiting on those adoption papers ..totally kidding! love yua dude! CHER aka Kevin

Hello CHER (a.k.a. Kevin),

"Cher" your real named is Kevin? Wow! I knew you had had more than a bit of plastic surgery, but I never imagined . . . .

To answer your question, yes and no. when I sustained my hollow-bore needle stick and laceration while I was performing a procedure on a patient with advanced-stage AIDS in January 1991, I knew there was a chance I might seroconvert. I took AZT within moments. We only had a few approved drugs back then and also didn't really know if PEP worked or not. I was tested immediately after the incident and the test was negative. I knew my risk of seroconverting was approximately 1 in 300. Yes, I was somewhat worried, but not overly panicked. I did get more concerned when I developed ARS. Despite being an AIDS specialist, subsequently receiving my very own positive test result was indeed a life altering experience. So now I'm an HIV-positive individual that might best be described as a "H"opeful "I"ndividual "V"ivaciously living with HIV and a very optimistic attitude.

Now as for the adoption papers, well, I would adopt you, but the current administration, including our clueless Commander in Chief, doesn't think that's such a good idea. In fact, the Gay and Lesbian Medical Association (GLMA) had to once again correct President Bush who, in a press conference on Thursday, January 27 suggested that children being raised by gay or lesbian couples are worse off than those raised by heterosexual parents. "Studies have shown," Mr. Bush said in an interview with The New York Times, "that the ideal is where a child is raised in a married family with a man and a woman."

"The President is clearly wrong," Dr. Tri Do, President of GLMA has stated. "There simply is no legitimate evidence to indicate that growing up with gay or lesbian parents is in any way bad for kids." Dr. Do noted that in 2002 both the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Family Physicians felt that there was sufficient evidence in the medical literature to endorse policy statements affirming same-sex parenting in which they recommended in the best interests of children that physicians advocate for the rights of same-sex couples to adopt their partner's children. "Just last month in the journal Child Development a study was published using data from the "Add Health" database, which is a national longitudinal study of adolescent health funded by the National Institutes of Health, that looked at 44 randomly selected families headed by female same-sex couples. The study showed that, when compared to an equal number of control families headed by opposite-sex couples, 'the personal, family, and school adjustment of adolescents living with same-sex parents did not differ from that of adolescents living with opposite-sex parents.' They concluded that 'The clarity of results from this broad array of assessments strengthens our confidence that adolescents living with same-sex parents were functioning well in many domains, both at home and at school.'"

Joel Ginsberg, JD, MBA, Executive Director of GLMA, "What we have here is another case in this administration in which ideology trumps science when discussing health policy and the LGBT community." He concluded, "We certainly hope that in the future President Bush would check the data collected by the National Institutes of Health before making an obviously incorrect statement."

So CHER, I guess you'll have to continue being either a "gypsy, tramp or thief" for the time being, because Dubya just doesn't "believe" in "a different kind of love song."

Don't worry though, because "the beat goes on!"

SOS--Oral Sex and Scrotum--help !!!
Question about health department testing please answer!