Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

*Took you advise....But
Feb 9, 2005

Remember me..I woke up in a hotel with my wife one morning after a night of drinking with a foreign substance in my stool?

I took you advise...

Visited with my ID Dr. in San Diego who used to work with HIV years ago. She said my oral ulcers, eroded latteral tongue borders, and gingivitis painful gums were all due to excess Nicotine Gum Chewing (20 pieces per day). She also believed that the negative EIA and RNA tests at 4.2 months were conclusive and final. All other symptoms such as joint and muscle pain, spasms etc... she wrote off as stress related not HIV. I called L**Corp, and they insisted that these tests order by xxxxxxxx Testing (the internet service)were mine and never leave their possession.

I still fear that my results were tampered with because of the drama I created on the phone with them about their claims about "conclusive DNA results in 28 days". Mine was negative, yet I believe I am positive.

I realize I could simply test again with a Dr. or some other means but I am simply out of steam and do not have the guts anymore.

It took everything out of me to take the 4 month test.

I will not try and explain this wacked out story to my wife if it is not necessary. We have two babies at home and she doesn't need this stress.

My only question is have you heard or have any knowledge about this service (xxxxxxxxTesting St. Louis MO)? Can they somehow manipulate the specimen or location or results? I know the Lab itself is reputable as they are one of the largest and a public company (xxxxCorp).

I realize that you are probably reluctant to give an opinion about a specific company, but I need you to this time for me.

You can also delete the name "xxxxxxx Testing" in my post before you answer. Or send your opinion within a different post (I'll figure it out...I read all posts every day).

I am simply at the end this time(and I mean it) and despirately need your words.

Believe me, I will donate.

It very difficult for me to believe that Nicotine Gum and Stress are doing this to me. I'm sure something happened that night, I'm just not sure what. Would you be satisfied if you were me.

Lots of Love and Prayers "Lost in the System"

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello "Lost,"

I completely agree with your ID doctor. Your fears of someone tampering with your test results are irrational.

Yes, 20 pieces of nicotine gum and stress can cause an impressive array of symptoms.

I have no specific information about the testing service or laboratory that you used. I also have no reason to doubt the validity of their EIA or RNA PCR tests, if they are using FDA-approved testing techniques.

You state, "I realize I could simply test again with a Dr. . . . ." so, you have several options:

1. Believe the ID doctor in San Diego who told you that your 4.2-month negative EIA and PCR DNA tests were conclusively negative.

2. Retest.

3. Get counseling to help you cope with your conspiracy theories and other irrational fears. (I also still suggest you level with your wife!)

4. None of the above.

I would suggest you do not choose #4. Other than that one, all the other choices should lead you to the same ultimate result.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Cover your ears WooHoo King, cause here comes my WOOHOO!
Next
Going nuts!!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.