600 sterling on its way - 3 questions first from a nurse!
Feb 7, 2005
Hi there. I have put aside some money (600) which I have decided to donate if you can help me. I recently had a blowjob from a sex worker and before I realised what was going on she started to put my penis in her mouth. I had thought she would put a condom on. As she did so I pulled away and asked for a condom. As I pulled away, the head of my penis brushed briefly against her lips - so there may have been a small amount of saliva coming into contact with my penis. Very brief and very slight but I want to hear you tell mne that the HIV trransmission rate would be nil in my case.
I have been getting therapy for hypochondriasis since my dad died of cancer, and getting tested while I know it is probably unnecessary is the kind of thing I am trying to avoid. Please tell me that I don't need to get tested! There were no cuts or sores on my penis and I am sure there was no blood in her mouth.
Second question - from reading your archives I unnderstand that the risk for the receptive partner in fellatio is less that for the receptive partner in penile-vaginal sex. Surely both involve mucous membrane exposure to semen so how could the risk be different?
Finally, just to clarify once and for all - does saliva pose a threat of transmission AT ALL if there is no blood involved?
thanks for your help. I know that there is nothing particularly original about my questions but I need to hear this directly from you so I can put my mind at rest. As I said, 600 on the way.
Response from Dr. Frascino
1. You want me to tell you the HIV transmission rate would be nil in your case? OK, the HIV transmission rate would be nil in your case.
2. You want me to tell you that you don't need to be tested? OK, you don't need to be tested.
3. The simplest way to explain it is that a mouth is not a vagina. Perhaps you can think of it this way: saliva is not the same thing as vaginal fluid, OK?
4. Correct, saliva without blood cannot transmit HIV.
Finally, regarding the 600 Sterling, please note that my advice here is free and available to all. Donations should be made only in the spirit of generosity, compassion and a desire to help others who are less fortunate. If that is your intention, please accept my heartfelt appreciation.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- What Does It Mean When Hiv Is Lying Dormant In Your Body?
- Is Stinging Sensation Under Arms A Hiv Symptom?
- Will Hiv Symptoms Show Up Within 2 Years?
- What The Chances Of Getting Herpes Without An Outbreak?
- What Specialists Treat Shingles Disease?
- What Is The Difference Between Genital Herpes And Cold Sores?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.