Is an HIV test at three months conclusive?

Concerned Male, 20, writing.

(I just sent this letter, but I think it was at the wrong forum so I am sending it here as well).

I have a scary story and I just want to ensure that I am ok. Last year, on the night of October 8, I was drunk and experienced an alcohol induced black-out or, alternatively, my drink was spiked by two strange men. I remember talking to these man and my last memory is of one of them saying: 'we just want to see you get fucked.' That is the last thing I remember; (obviously this is not a pleasant memory to have). I do not know if I left the pub with these men or not, but the next morning I woke up on an unfamiliar pavement (about two minutes walk away) with blood on my face and I had crapped my pants. I did not worry about this at all for about seven weeks. (I do not think I was raped because I assumed I would know if I had). Then a friend suggested I get an HIV test and I started to get worried. I got the test at the end of November and it came back negative. To make sure I was ok I got another test at the end of January, about January 22. This meant that almost three and a half months had elapsed since that night on October 8, (just over one-hundred days). This test also came back negative. The final definitive test is at the end of February, (making it three months since my first test at the end of November). Should I be worried of infection at all if the first two tests came back negative? Was there any chance they were false results? I know that I have no memory of any sexual activity occuring that night (and I am not gay) and I felt no pain around my anus and was not bleeding except on my face, (where I guess I fell over or was punched). All the same, could a rape have been committed without my knowledge and, if the rapist had HIV, would I be infected by now? Luckily, I have not put anyone at risk in the last four months. Seeing it has been a while, could I afford to have unprotected sex at this stage with someone I know is clean... or am I still a danger to them? (I am pretty sure I am ok but I have anxiety attacks every now and then). I have also been sick with a cough for the last month and there is a dizzy feeling in my head like I might fall over... is this symptomatic of infection?

Thanks very much... sorry to pile this on you.

Let me get this straight. You either had an alcohol-induced blackout or were drugged by two strange men, and the last memory you have is one of them saying, "We just want to see you get fucked?" You then woke up the next morning on an unfamiliar pavement with blood on your face and you had crapped your pants. And you "did not worry about this at all for about seven weeks???" Dude, look, I know we've all got busy schedules in this crisis-crowded world, but don't you think a little episode like this should cause you at least a tiny bit of concern???

OK, on to your question. Yes, I, too, would guess that if you had been raped you would have some indication. (Maybe the poopy pants were a deterrent?)

As for your test results, HIV tests taken before three months are not considered to be definitive. I would consider your 3.5-month test (Jan. test) to be conclusive.

Your symptoms are not consistent with HIV. I suggest you get some help with your panic attacks and alcohol abuse.

Thank You -- A Year Later
600 sterling on its way - 3 questions first from a nurse!