Thank You -- A Year Later

Dr. Bob,

I just gave a donation to "concertedeffort.org". I wanted to share the reason. You help more people than you'll ever know. I now check your website all the time for new information and to stay informed. We are lucky to have you. Here is the note I wrote to you on the website (BUT IT WOULDN"T TAKE IT SO I"M SENDING IT HERE!):

Dr Bob, I heard of thebody.com by a friend when I was in need a year ago. I think you're a decent human being to the core. I don't agree with all your politics - I am a gay Republican, but I agree GW Bush's policy toward gay marriage and some other gay related issues are horrific. On other domestic and Foreign Policy issues we might differ. Now the point of my posting: I used your TheBody.com archives exactly a year ago(condom broke - I was insertive partner). I was distraught and you helped me get through it without even knowing -- you are wonderful. I was thinking of you today. I wanted to thank you -- I never did and I should have. I am donating $200.00 today by cc. Keep up your amazing work and all the best. -- - Bruce (A sensible gay moderate Repbulican wanting to help)

Hi Bruce ("sensible gay moderate Repbulican"),

What's a "Repbulican"? It sounds like a prehistoric reptile.

Many thanks for your kind post. You have no idea how often I've wondered if my words even reach their intended target. As a physician, I'm used to talking to folks one on one about their concerns. Sending these replies into cyberspace after typing for hour after hour has always been a bit disconcerting to me. Consequently, it's very encouraging for me to hear that information you found here was helpful and that you've continued to be a regular reader, in spite of my often indelicate comments about our fearless "repbulican" leader. (I kind of like that word!)

Thanks also for your very generous donation. It arrived safely via cyberspace and your formal letter of thanks is already on its way back to you via snail mail. Your gift will greatly help our efforts to provide crucial services to men, women and children living with HIV/AIDS and to raise awareness of the pandemic through advocacy and education. Please accept my heartfelt thanks!

Regarding Dubya, I sincerely hope my concerns about his second term are proven wrong. It's going to take years to repair the damage he's already caused during the first four years. (Sorry, couldn't resist commenting.)

Thanks again, Bruce. I really am encouraged that sensible folks like you are part of the Republican Party. It gives me some hope!

Stay well, my friend.

Sensible Gay Democrat Bob

HIV counsellor who has lost his perspective.
Is an HIV test at three months conclusive?