Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Short and sweet
Feb 7, 2005

Would you recommend testing for receptive (my one eyed monster had been sucked)unprotected oral sex ? From a medical point of view, not a "calm my fears" point of view.

Thank you

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

First off, I think we need to clarify the term "receptive," as it applies to one-eyed monsters and oral sex. True, you were the lucky dude "receiving" a blow job, but as it turns out, having your big bopper deep throated does not make you the "receptive" partner. The receptive partner is the one who gets a mouth (or booty) full of spunk. You shoot and they "receive." So, you would be the "insertive" partner and consequently you had "insertive" (not receptive) oral sex, OK?

Next, to test or not to test. That is the question! (Didn't Shakespeare write something like that?) Actually, to test or not is always a personal decision and one which I cannot make for you. The best I can offer is to advise you about the level of HIV risk involved in the activities you describe. From there you have to decide whether or not to get HIV tested. Oral sex carries a low risk for HIV transmission not zero, but low. HIV transmission risk is always considered to be less for the "insertive" (you) compared to the "receptive" partner. HIV transmission risk is not an absolute, because there are always potentially extenuating circumstances that might influence transmission risk. For instance, regarding oral sex, bleeding gums, gum disease and sores in the mouth can increase the risk. Having certain STDs can increase the chances of getting infected as well. So, should you get tested? In reality, only you can decide. The best I can offer is what we know "from a medical point of view:" that HIV is not easy to get from any kind of oral sex.

I hope that helps, although I realize it may not "calm your fears."

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Wife and Mother Scared
Next
Your opinion Please?Dumbest way to get AIDS!!!!!!!!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.