Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

BAM update...
Feb 1, 2005

Dr. Bob,

Ok. So I am on the brink of the big day. I took my 95 day (at least 95 days since thailand sexual exposure) on Saturday. SEE PREVIOUS ENTRY "So Scared..." It was a Home Access Express and I should know my results by Wednesday night.

Since my last E-mail things have gotten better. Following up my 9 week negative, I had another right past 11 weeks (Oraquick) also negative. I also had my GP draw blood (CBC + all Hep's)...all negative and ok. Also Chlamydia, Ghonnorhea and Syphillis all neg.

I know I am still in the window period for hep's and hiv but it helped calm me down a bit. I have since put my scale and my thermometer away.

My most prevalent (sp?) symptoms remain muscle cramps and tremors that happen daily, and sometimes a bit of an itch. Really strange stuff.

My question here and for all those going through the window pains -- what is the best way to stay relaxed - focused and well rested? I know stress is playing a role in whatever is going on with me and fear as well.

Basically...I have maybe 72 hours before I get my results back. How do I stay sane?

And no matter what I will report back in. My checkbook is open and I plan on honoring my pledge once I pass through this ordeal.

Thanks for all that you do.

Bam-Bam (my initials are even cooler when put back to back...)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello BAM-BAM,

If I had to guess, I'd say your "really strange stuff" "muscle cramps, tremors, bit of an itch," etc. are stress and anxiety related.

Best way to stay relaxed? . . . . That varies from person to person. I'd suggest you volunteer some of your time to those in need, perhaps an AIDS hospice, children's cancer ward, a group that reads to the blind, etc. Others suggest a walk on the beach, a workout at the gym, reading a good novel, getting a massage or having sex (of course, that may be how you got into this whole mess in the first place). You could always read through the archives of this forum. That'll take longer than 72 hours and you should find the information enlightening and encouraging (and perhaps even a bit entertaining).

BAM-BAM, whatever you wind up doing, I'm quite confident you'll remain sane for the next 72 hours. Did you know "BAM-BAM" was the name of a character on the old Flintstones cartoon? So when you get your good news in 72 hours, instead of yelling WOO-HOO, perhaps you should yell YABBA DABBA DO!

Good-Good Luck-Luck BAM-BAM,

Dr.-Dr. Bob-Bob

Previous
6 mos test after oral sex, am I o.k.?
Next
If you could please answer..

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.