Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Local Los altos guy needs your opnion again
Jan 26, 2005

Dear Dr. Bob, I honestly think you more than deserve the Bobbi Campbel AIDS HERO award as for me and many others who recieve your advice, you are our hero every day and i know the same is true for many more people. Last time i sent you mail, i explained i had a unprotected sex with some one i did not know on August 5 last year, since that day, i have had many issues ( whihc i did mention in my last email) but the most important fact is that i have had white tongue ( which my doctor believes was due to high amount of anti biotics and penicilin that i took for my prostate infection last september) since october last year and i have not been able to get rid of it. I feel fatigued these days as well . I have had Tests at 25 days, 45 days, and 4 and half months after the contact ( last test was in december 19) and all has been negative. No change in my blood either. I still have the white tongue and iam going to see my doctor again soon and do you think i should have more tests ( as the window period is six months which means feb 5 ) or can the white tongue really be still due to the high amount of panicilin. Please help me as i do not think i will shake the idea that i am infected without your help. Thanks in avance.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Neighbor,

Repeatedly testing HIV negative out to 4.5 months is generally considered definitive. Yes, your "white tongue" could be related to many conditions other than HIV, such as dry mouth, fungal overgrowth from prolonged use of antibiotics, etc. It may even be "normal!"

If repeating your test February 5 will ultimately put your mind at ease, perhaps that's the most efficient thing to do since that date is just around the corner.

In the meantime, take a stroll downtown to Le Boulanger, buy a nice pastry, then walk over to Peets and have a coffee while watching the locals stroll by with their dogs. Or stop at the bookshop and pick up a good read, like "The Kite Runner," to distract your thoughts from those unwarranted fears.

Stay well . . . because you are indeed well! See you at Peets! OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Question from your Piasan in Boston!
Next
HIV 1 vs HIV2 RAPID TESTS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.