Local Los altos guy needs your opnion again

Dear Dr. Bob, I honestly think you more than deserve the Bobbi Campbel AIDS HERO award as for me and many others who recieve your advice, you are our hero every day and i know the same is true for many more people. Last time i sent you mail, i explained i had a unprotected sex with some one i did not know on August 5 last year, since that day, i have had many issues ( whihc i did mention in my last email) but the most important fact is that i have had white tongue ( which my doctor believes was due to high amount of anti biotics and penicilin that i took for my prostate infection last september) since october last year and i have not been able to get rid of it. I feel fatigued these days as well . I have had Tests at 25 days, 45 days, and 4 and half months after the contact ( last test was in december 19) and all has been negative. No change in my blood either. I still have the white tongue and iam going to see my doctor again soon and do you think i should have more tests ( as the window period is six months which means feb 5 ) or can the white tongue really be still due to the high amount of panicilin. Please help me as i do not think i will shake the idea that i am infected without your help. Thanks in avance.

Hi Neighbor,

Repeatedly testing HIV negative out to 4.5 months is generally considered definitive. Yes, your "white tongue" could be related to many conditions other than HIV, such as dry mouth, fungal overgrowth from prolonged use of antibiotics, etc. It may even be "normal!"

If repeating your test February 5 will ultimately put your mind at ease, perhaps that's the most efficient thing to do since that date is just around the corner.

In the meantime, take a stroll downtown to Le Boulanger, buy a nice pastry, then walk over to Peets and have a coffee while watching the locals stroll by with their dogs. Or stop at the bookshop and pick up a good read, like "The Kite Runner," to distract your thoughts from those unwarranted fears.

Stay well . . . because you are indeed well! See you at Peets! OK?

Question from your Piasan in Boston!
HIV 1 vs HIV2 RAPID TESTS