Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please answer I'm going nuts from N J
Jan 26, 2005

hi there doctor bob!!!! i'm scare because here in nj nobody cares... its the fifth time that i'm trying to get in touch with you doctor.... Your opinion will be appreciated... there's my question and the my situation. On april 1st. 2004 i got assaulted and stuck with a hypodermical needle several times. Since then i've gotten tested on 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 months all negative, however at the 3 months mark i did tb test which came positive and now i'm taking meds INH 300mg and vit. b6 50mg my physician told me to do the hiv test once more at 12 months mark and i'm scare to death because i heard that some people seroconvert at 1 year mark. Also the other day i did a CBC and my WB cells were at 4.8 and red blood cells were low too. i have these weird symptons for at least 9 months sore throat, taste buds swollen for 8 months a rash on my chest and these white spots on my arms, abdomen, and lower back that doesn't go away red blemishes all over my face and some times i have these pain on my arm-pits that comes and goes and i asked my doctor about hiv PCR and she told me that it was not necessary. So my question is how many people do you know that seroconverted at 12 months mark and in my case is a PCR necessary...

thank you for your time and keep up the good work...

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Eight negative tests out to nine months are, in my opinion, definitive and conclusive. You are HIV negative. I see no reason for any additional testing, including PCR testing. Past TB exposure, which is what a positive PPD (TB) skin test indicates, does not affect HIV test results. Your symptoms are not consistent with HIV.

How many people do I know personally that seroconverted at 12 months after testing negative at 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 months? Absolutely none!

Stop worrying. HIV is not your problem!

Dr. Bob

Previous
ejaculated fluid in the nose/mixed status
Next
Question from your Piasan in Boston!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.