Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I?
Jan 25, 2005

Can I woohoo? today the doctor phoned back with my 13th week results of another vidas duo. NEGATIVE!! So my lymphocytes were low, my protein and ESR elevated but after 3 HIV tests I still test negative to three months? I have never used drugs in my life (apart from the old splif back in my uni days). Do you think I need to continue testing in case my immune system is compromised by something or other I dont know. I havent done a DNA PCR test yet. Shall I do that? (by the way HIV tests can be rather expensive in Harley street, london, I think Ive spend the best part of 600 so far)

anyways I will keep my word and donate another $500 to the organisation of yours. You do have my email address, feel free to send me a quick email if you like with your actual home address (not trying to stalk you or anything) a bottle of dom perignon 1996, my favourite, will be on its way.

I hope Im in the clear here and not jumping the gun, I really want to thank you for all your support during my really dark days. the mind is a freaking powerfull thing and it can play games on you. Combine that with a bit of extra education (see Im a doctor like you PHD hahaha but not in medicine/medical) and you become a self proclaimed doctor..ready to diagnose any kind of disease. I look back on my posts on this site and I cant stop laughing. half the stuff I written is inaccurate (my lymphcyte level were not a % but an absolute number) not because I meant it this way but because i was in such a state of mind when I wrote them I could hardly see straight. I think eventually I will put the whole thing behind me but I really dont want to. Not in the sense that I will keep on testing or obsessing about having contracted the virus but in the sense that I will actively do something about it. You wont believe how close scientists are to solving the problem once and for all. I know you probably thinking by now what can a 26 year old banker know more than a doctor with experience like yourself. TRUST ME ON THIS ONE. One thing that has kept me from commiting suicide (apart from your kind and supportive words) is some results of a trial I managed to obtain due to me senior position in the organisation I work. believe me, the once in a lifetime treatment (gene therapy) is here, FDA approved, tested on clinical I trials with excellent results and about to go to trial phase II. im sure I can obtain permission to forward you some documentation if you would be interested. It is not a cure but it indefinetely postpones AIDS. and even for AIDS patients it can do miracles for their VL. Unfortunately I cant post it here since some of the data is covered by confidentiality agreements.

Anyways I dont want to take anymore of your time. If you ever find yourself in London and in need of some good company (be it heterosexual) just get in contact.... I will douche you with the most splendid cognac and rinse you with the most fine champagne.

You are a divine creature Rob, Im sure you've lived more life than any other person of your age or indeed older. Im even more sure that you have a lot more decades in you. I will say a pray for you but even more importantly I will show you the way!!!!

a friend from London

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi London Friend,

Repeatedly testing negative out to 13 weeks would, in my opinion, be both conclusive and definitive. Although I cannot diagnose why your lymphocytes, protein and ESR are out of whack, I can tell you what's not causing the problem: it's not HIV. I see no reason to have a DNA PCR test.

As I mentioned previously, I, too, have great hopes for gene therapy. However, promising phase I trials still have a very long, long road before finding their way into our treatment armamentarium.

My mailing address is the Foundation's address:

The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation 779 Altos Oaks Drive, Suite 200 Los Altos, CA 94024

At the moment, London is not on my travel roster; however, the splendid cognac douche and fine champagne rinse is indeed tempting.

Stay well, Mate! Congrats on your negative tests!

Dr. Bob

Previous
My angel
Next
protection from needlesticks and accidential exposure

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.