Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Rapid HIV Test Accuracy?
Jan 19, 2005

I recently had a Rapid HIV test using fingerstick done in a facility that said they were FDA approved etc... The test came out negative and I am well beyond the "window period".(4 years) Can I beleive this test? Is it as accurate as test sent to lab that takes a few days? I don't beleive the results and I am making myself sick with anxiety & fear. Please help.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Well, well, well . . . . I never really understand folks who decide to make themselves sick with anxiety and fear because they don't believe good news. Isn't there enough bad news in the world for you to be anxious about????

There are two FDA-approved rapid tests, OraQuick and SUDS. The OraQuick test can be read by the provider at the site of care, so I assume this is the one you had performed. Results are available within 20 minutes. The sensitivity and specificity exceed 99%. A negative test beyond the window period is considered definitive. A positive test, however, requires confirmation by standard serology testing before it can be called definitively positive.

In short, you are indeed well, well, well. So stop making yourself sick, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
just some ramblings and good wishes
Next
17old guy from milano

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.