Unconsciable Act??

Hey Doc,

Hope your New Year is bright. I am a former Worried Well that reads your posts from time to time. I read one of your recent posts about somebody committing an unconsciable act by testing for HIV by donating blood. I think it's plane to see the danger in blood tht has yet to seroconvert.

Anyway after almost a year and multiple HIV test out past the window, negative I might add, I finally donated blood this week. I was fine until I read your post. Did I infact endanger somebody? All that bagage came back. I believe if I was positive I would indeed be a medical freak (I am content with just being a freak.)

Anyway, what kind of testing is done on donated blood to ensure that the blood supply is not tainted? I guess I don't want to be the cause of anybody elses pain and suffering. Did I give blood to soon?

The "Big" Guy

PS You even gave me the official "Blessing" after 82 days.

Hi "Big" Guy,

I think it's unconscionable to attempt to screen for HIV by donating blood or to even consider donating blood if there is a chance you are infected. This, however, does not apply to you, since you have had multiple HIV tests well past the window period.

No worries, OK?

still get HIV/AIDS while using a condom
Sorry, Dr. Bob