Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

BET YA I AM POSITIVE THAT I AM POSITIVE.
Jan 8, 2005

Well Dr. Bob, wanna make a bet? I bet you that I am HIV poz. I am unfortunately so sure, that upon receipt of my results in 2 months, I will contribute $5.00 a day times the number of days I waited for the news. I am currently going through ARS following a sexual encounter that I had 2.5 weeks ago with two pro's. I really had not been worried about the episode since it was protected vaginal sex (I was insertive). But low and behold 20 days later I have "All the Symptoms". the glands in my neck including behind my jaw are swollen and painful, my groin and underarms hurt, I have a constant dry cough, fatigued, and diareah (sorry about my spelling). Now I have read over and over again that if you used a condom correctly and it remained intact that you have almost no chance of getting HIV.... Unless you are me!!! I have also read that symptoms do not imply HIV status.... except in this case!!! and finally, I know that a test that is less than three months is not recommended, but I honestly do not think that I can wait. I have read and re-read all of your forums and archives over and over again looking for the slighest bit of reassuarence, and just when I think I hve found it, symptoms like my glads being swollen come up, and I feel like I am going to lose my mind.

So Dr. Bob, wanna take my bet? I mean it is win win for you because either way I am going to make a donation so how about responding to my post and telling me if it is money in the bag or not.

Thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Yep, I'll take that bet! Gladly! I'll also advise the Foundation they have some "money in the bag" coming their way in a couple of weeks.

What can I say to you that you haven't already read in the archives thousands of times? That "protected" sex is indeed protected if the latex condom is used properly and doesn't fail? That every single one of the gazillion testimonials in the archives was also absolutely convinced they were HIV positive? That all these folks also had "every symptom in the book"? These should indeed give you much more than "the slightest bit of reassurance." But alas, perhaps only seeing your very own negative test result will be able to restore your rational judgment and give you genuine peace of mind. I'm quite confident that soon you'll be writing to me WOO-HOOing and wondering how you could have been so very wrong. You'll also be advising other "worried sicks" who have "all the symptoms" to stay calm and get tested. And so it goes . . . but at least we all enjoy these testimonials, because after all, who doesn't like a tense scary story with a "happily every after" ending?

Good luck. (I strongly doubt you really need it!) Thank you for your donation. We will use it to provide crucial services to those struggling with challenges of living with AIDS.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
pour l'amour de dieu repond moi dr bob
Next
I got HIV by ORAL SEX!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.