3 quick questions

Hello Dr. Bob,

From reading the information about you on this site I know that it has now been 14 years that you are positive. I am glad that you have made it so long and I wish you many more years to come.

I have just 3 very simple questions. I am concerned about a potential oral sex exposure with a person of unknown hiv status. I sucked.

1) What is the percentage of people who seroconvert after having a 12 week and a 7 month negative test?

2) Is there a strain of hiv that infects slower than other strains thus causes the immune system to respond (ie. produce detectable antibodies in 6 months) slower.

3) How do I know that my immune system would produce detectable antibodies within the 6 month window period?

Thanks for your replies.

Very Scared.

1. There are no reported statistics for this. The estimated statistical risk would be so small as to be infinitesimal.

2. No. Some HIV strains are less aggressive than others as far as inducing progressive immunodeficiency. However, this would not affect the body's immune response to the initial infection. In other words, it wouldn't change anti-HIV antibody production or the duration of the window period.

3. If your immune system is not functioning properly, generally speaking, you would have a variety of recognizable health problems. Low production of antibodies (hypogammaglobulinemia) or inability to produce antibodies (agammaglobulinemia) are not subtle conditions!

I would suggest you stop being unnecessarily scared. OK.

Spoiled
Anal sex toys are ruining my life......