Waited 11 years to get tested! Worried wells-READ!

Dear Dr.Bob I have been lurking on this website for literally years,and very much admire you and your sensitivity to others. I have been living with the HIV fear demon for over 11 years. I had multiple unprotected encounters with a high risk individual. I always had some sort of guilt for having sex with this person, and thought that HIV would be my punishment. Mind you, this is going back 11 years. I was never tested. I had various symptoms: shooting pain on and off in all of my lymph nodes, cankersores, tingling, burning and pain in my hands and feet. I was so obsessed with having HIV that I was not living life anymore. I became very depressed and anxious, and spent all of my time at work surfing the net about HIV/AIDS. Last week, I reached my breaking point and realized that I was better off knowing, even if I was positive so I could move on and live my life. My doctor was convinced that I did not have it after all of this time, but I have read many stories of people who have gone 10+ years without meds. I took the test on Tuesday. and what do you know? the nurse called me yesterday: NEGATIVE. WOO-HOO!!! Sorry that this is so long. My advice, like many others, is GET TESTED. Don't torture yourself like I did. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders and I can finally live life. Happy New Year everyone!

Eleven years of needless worry. That's a very, very long time, but if it's any consolation, it doesn't even come close to breaking the current record, as I'm sure you've noticed from "lurking" through the archives!

So WOO-HOO and Happy New Year to you as well. You've got 11 years of missed happiness to catch up on, so get busy!

Bob, Pick me pretty please! The CDC has me freaked!
My doctor has me worried ( donation to fight this virus is on the way)