Possible exposure and immediate symptoms?
Dec 29, 2004
What a wonderful forum, its been a god send to HIV+ members of my family and for that I thank you.
A week ago I had potential exposure with two ladies (I use the term loosely!) of unknown staus.
No intercourse, protected oral but I performed unprotected oral on one of them.
The next morning I awoke with what cn only be described as a burning sensation on my tongue - if I didn't know better I'd have said I'd dunked it in boiling hot water.
Panic set in, I keep examining my tongue and can see some white marks down each side but they come and go. The tip of my tongue is sore and the burning is still there a week later.
I had a bad cold when this happened (still have) so would have been breaithing through my mouth and had a dry mouth (sorry to run on but just trying to give you all the facts). Been on anitdpressants for a month (they make me sweat and dry mouth) and blood pressure pills.
Finally, my two questions....
1) Would exposure ever create this type of problem the next day?
2) If I was exposed and contracted HIV before (say in the last two years - I have had some potential exposure) would this unprotected oral sex bring on this type of symptom?
Sorry to be so long winded but after looking at pictures of hairy leukoplakia all day I seem to have convinced myself!
Your knowledge will be greatly appreciated.
Response from Dr. Frascino
Unprotected oral sex and then a burning tongue that seems like you dunked it in boiling hot water? . . . . Hmmmm . . . . These two ladies must have been more than loose; they must have been damn hot to actually scald your tongue. OK, I'm kidding . . . . Now listen up, T. Oral sex within 24 hours can't give you oral hairy leukoplakia any more than "looking at pictures of hairy leukoplakia all day" can. You've convinced yourself of something that is quite impossible.
1. On this site in the archives, read through the posts concerning oral sex.
2. If you remain concerned about your HIV risk, get HIV tested in three months.
3. Stop starring at your tongue and pictures of hairy leukoplakia.
4. Get some counseling if you can't shake these irrational worries.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Pcr Hiv Test Negative After 30 Days Should I Worry
- How Long Does It Take To Get Hepatitis C Test Results?
- Can Having A Herpes Outbreak Cause A False Positive Hiv Test?
- In The Earliest Stage Of Hiv Infection Can Symptoms May Be Mistaken For The Flu
- What Do Lymph Nodes Look Like With Hiv?
- Can Hiv Cause Joint Pain?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.