|Blown away by CBS AIDS clocks
Dec 23, 2004
Thank you for your amazing forum. You are a true hero and inspiration.
Anyway, I saw the discussion of the CBS TV, CBS Cares website on AIDS in your forum and checked in on that site. In addition to interesting interviews with top docsm I was totally blown away by seeing CBS' AIDS clocks on that site that are alive and keep on ticking at the average infection rate around the world and the deaths also as they happen. I could not stop watching this and thinking of which someone just got HIV or died. My question is that the CBS clocks show almost 40,000,000 infected and more like 22,000,000 dead already in the world and counting. Can this be right? What is the number for the US?! Why don't people protect themselves?????
| Response from Dr. Frascino
Yes, those figures are accurate: Over 40,000,000 living with HIV/AIDS worldwide and 22,000 dead. Here are a few more facts for you:
1. Every 10 seconds, someone in the world dies of AIDS.
2. Every 14 seconds, AIDS turns a child into an orphan.
3. There are 14 million AIDS orphans worldwide. That's equivalent to every child under five in America.
4. Our country spends more money on potato chips each year than HIV prevention and treatment.
The statistics for the US indicate 850,000-950,000 infected, including 180,000-280,000 who do not know they are infected. The cumulative estimated number of AIDS deaths in the US through 2003 is 524,000.
Why don't people protect themselves? I could easily write a book on that topic. Many still think of AIDS as a distant threat rather than a clear and present danger. Most don't even realize they are at risk. Our prevention education efforts have been woefully inadequate for over two decades. So help spread the truth. Get involved!
Stay safe. Stay informed. Stay well.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Burning Urethra After Rubbing Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Fever After Performing Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Rash After Swallowing Precum Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Penis Discharge After Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Oral Sex Form Sex Worker What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Can Vaginitis Cause Vaginal Sores?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.