Blown away by CBS AIDS clocks

Thank you for your amazing forum. You are a true hero and inspiration.

Anyway, I saw the discussion of the CBS TV, CBS Cares website on AIDS in your forum and checked in on that site. In addition to interesting interviews with top docsm I was totally blown away by seeing CBS' AIDS clocks on that site that are alive and keep on ticking at the average infection rate around the world and the deaths also as they happen. I could not stop watching this and thinking of which someone just got HIV or died. My question is that the CBS clocks show almost 40,000,000 infected and more like 22,000,000 dead already in the world and counting. Can this be right? What is the number for the US?! Why don't people protect themselves?????

Thank you.

Yes, those figures are accurate: Over 40,000,000 living with HIV/AIDS worldwide and 22,000 dead. Here are a few more facts for you:

1. Every 10 seconds, someone in the world dies of AIDS.

2. Every 14 seconds, AIDS turns a child into an orphan.

3. There are 14 million AIDS orphans worldwide. That's equivalent to every child under five in America.

4. Our country spends more money on potato chips each year than HIV prevention and treatment.

The statistics for the US indicate 850,000-950,000 infected, including 180,000-280,000 who do not know they are infected. The cumulative estimated number of AIDS deaths in the US through 2003 is 524,000.

Why don't people protect themselves? I could easily write a book on that topic. Many still think of AIDS as a distant threat rather than a clear and present danger. Most don't even realize they are at risk. Our prevention education efforts have been woefully inadequate for over two decades. So help spread the truth. Get involved!

Stay safe. Stay informed. Stay well.

Please help: Window periods for testing of other STDs?
Swollen Glands!!