The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

please help needed

Dec 23, 2004

I had a brother who had aids and I was helping out of bed by touching his hands which had dried blood due to repeated needle insertion(for glucose infusions )and shortly afterward (after about 2 minutes) I had to touch the inside of my eyelids with my fingers to get something that entered into my eye out. Now,I am worrying too much because i heard from some people that the inside of eyelids is very vulnerable to hiv infection. Dear dr Bob, are my fears justified and/or what should I do next? Tests? I thank you very much Dr.Bob and if you could tell me how I can donate to your organization. Thank you

Response from Dr. Frascino


While it is true the inside of the eyelids can be a route of HIV transmission, I agree with you that you are "worrying too much." HIV does not survive in "dried blood." The chances of contracting HIV from the incident you describe would be nearly nonexistent. If you are worried, you can get tested in three months, but the primary reason to do so would be for your own peace of mind, not because there is a significant chance of infection. OK?

Thank you for helping your brother. I wish all those trying to cope with the enormous challenges of AIDS had helping brothers to lean on.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Handling used condom and semen spillage
Please help: Window periods for testing of other STDs?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint