The most desperate year of my life.Please help!

Dear Dr.Bob,

It is not enough to be a doctor.First thing first you must be a human being and it seems it is quite difficult.Thanks God you are! I ran into a lot of trouble this year because of doctors.I studied a Master abroad and I came back home more than exhausted and depressed.The medical tests indicated a good organical health, but psychologically I was down.I visited a psychiatrist and she was the one who "brought up my spirit".After a test of my brain activity(I do not exactly know its name in English), she told me that my brain was in an acute condition.That was all.My depression took the form of panic attacks and I thought I was crazy.After three other doctors, I found one that with the help of drugs, could finally make me slowly come back. However, in the meantime, overlapping this situation, I had to face a lot of conflicts between my girlfriend-I've been with for 3 years- and my parents.The outcome was that from March to September I broke up and reconciled with her for several times.All my life was a mess - depression and fear. There are 2 months now since we only talk to each other, but do not meet.After so much pressure, I felt the need for a change.One element of the change in my life, was heaving sex with a sex-worker.I had protected vaginal, oral sex and about 30 seconds of unprotected cunnilingus.Now,heaving to think of another possible health problem that I might have, makes me hardly bare this situation.I've done a 7 week Elisa and it was negative. As I know your words are most reliable, please tell me whether a 3 months negative Elisa should make me completely forget about HIV. I will be highly grateful.As my resources will allow me, I would like to make a donation.Please tell me how is this possible? Thank you very much and I wish you wonderful Holidays and A Happy New Year!

Yes, I would consider a three-month negative ELISA test definitive and conclusive in your situation. Assuming a latex condom was used properly and did not fail, your risk of HIV transmission is 30 seconds of unprotected cunnilingus. Oral sex carries a very small risk of HIV transmission. Your exposure was very brief. This coupled with the fact you have a negative seven-week ELISA test would unquestionably put the odds astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this experience.

Even though your three-month ELISA will most likely be negative, I hope you do not "completely forget about HIV." With over 40 million people currently infected, five million within the last year alone, HIV should never be forgotten.

I'm sorry you've had such a stressful and difficult year personally. Thank you for your willingness to help others in crisis by making a donation to my foundation. Donation details can be found on the Foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. Your one gift will touch many lives.

Stay well. I hope 2005 brings both peace and health.

15min. HIV test in Japan, reliable?
Woohoooo from india.......please post dr.bob!!