HELP DR. BOB

My husband and I are both HIV+ and his brother recently had twins...We were approched by his brother when the twins where bron about washing our hands before touching the twins and my husband putting his fingers near or letting babies suck on his fingers or knuckles...My question is what should we worry about when it comes to being around the babies? Can we infect them by holding them, kissing them or if they happen to suck on our knuckles or fingers? What about feeding them? Changing them? Anything having to do with being around them? Please respond ASAP as I am so angry about there reaction and the way it was presented to my husband as "the aids thing". Thank you....~Jessie~ p.s. By the way, I follow lots of your post Dr. Bob and I think you are GREAT!!!!! =)

Hi Jessie,

Your brother-in-law is an insensitive, ill-informed nincompoop. To answer your specific questions:

1. Can you infect the twins by holding them? No!

2. Can you infect the twins by kissing them? No!

3. Can you infect the twins if they suck your fingers or knuckles? No!

4. Can you infect the twins by feeding them? No. (Unless, of course, you personally are breast feeding them!)

5. Can you infect the twins by changing them? No!

6. Can you infect the twins by anything having to do with being around them? No!

I understand your anger about your brother-in-law's stupidity. One option to consider would be to invite nincompoop to accompany you and/or your husband on your next visit to see your HIV/AIDS specialist so that you can clear up his irrational concerns related to "the AIDS thing." Warn your HIV specialist that you are bringing nincompoop with you and about his concerns. That way he'll be ready to debunk brother-in-law's completely unwarranted worries. This method has worked well for me in dealing with similar situations in the past.

Good luck. And do put some coal in nincompoop's stocking from me for Christmas while giving each of the twins a big kiss from me as well.

Stay well, Jessie!

Elisa +. WB -. CD4 counts not Normal
Dr. Bob's back!!! Could you please make my holiday?