Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Tested too early
Dec 18, 2004

Bob,

It's really great that you offer this site. I check it often (probably too often). I'm worried, and here's why. ARound the second week of July, this year, I had sex with a guy I met on line. I had never sucked dick before, but somehow couldn't resist this guy. He was HUGE, if you know what I mean. Before I indulged, I asked him if he was 'safe'. He said yes, and then came back with 'are you?'. I decided to go ahead with my plans. I only sucked him for about a couple of minutes, before I got the urge to try another 'first', receptive anal. Again, this guy was HUGE, but I was turned on and feeling adventurous I guess. I watched him put the condom on, and of couse it hurt like the dickens when he first entered me. My relaxation, and his patience eventually made it enjoyable. He told me he was cumming, and he pulled out and I watched him cum in the condom, which seemed to be intact.

Although this seems pretty safe, I found out a couple of weeks later that I have gum disease. I've read that this greatly increases my risk of getting HIV from sucking him, even though he didn't cum in my mouth. I got scared, and took a standard HIV test at about 3.5 weeks, which was negative but I have since leard that this was not conclusive. I also had a slight 'flu like' feeling and some diarrea before I took the test.

Now, 4 months later, I seem to be getting some wierd symptoms again. My throat feels funny, and my hands and feet seem 'dryer' than they used to be. I also seem to have occasional diareah again. I'm thinking that this could be an early symptomatic period starting for me. Please advise, sir. Sorry this was so long.

Take Care

'Early'

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Early,

OK, first off, since many of the readers of this site will want to know, just now HUGE was he? Did his online profile really "measure up," so to speak? In other words, were his "inches" real inches rather than "chat room inches?"

OK, on to your questions. It seems to me you followed the safer sex guidelines and overall have a very small potential risk for HIV transmission. Since you didn't even find out about your "gum disease" for a "couple of weeks" after the "big" event, I doubt it could be very severe. True, significant gum disease could increase HIV transmission risk, but "greatly increase?" No. That would be unlikely in your case. Other things in your favor include:

1. Unknown HIV status (rather than certain HIV+) of your big-boy boy toy.

2. No ejaculation in your mouth

3. Your "weird symptoms" are not suggestive of ARS.

I agree your 3.5-week test is too early to be definitive. But now it's been four months, so why are you spending time writing to me and "what-if-ing" yourself into anxiety when you can simply roll up your sleeve and get a definitive HIV test? In other words, that HUGE dick incident requires merely a small prick to set your mind at rest once and for all.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
RAPED, DEPRESSED, SCARED and CONFUSED
Next
Taking Test Today b/c you gave me strength

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.