best formula for baby
Dec 13, 2004
I am HIV+ and pregnant.Am due in early Feb 2005.I am wondering what is the best formula I can start my baby on since I'm not going to breast feed at all.I'm on the meds and have kept an undetectable viral load and my CD4 has risen from less than 100 to over 300 in the 2 years since I started the meds which are AZT,3TC and Crixivan. I'm having a C-section and am praying for an infection free baby.Am living in a developing country but can still procure the best formulas from outside if I know which ones are highly recommended and closer to breast milk. Thanks for your time.This site is a real inspiration when living with 'the monster' in your blood.
Response from Dr. Frascino
There is no one "best" formula for all infants. Consequently, I'll just make a few general comments.
1. Yes, you need to absolutely avoid breast feeding.
2. Cow's milk-based formulas are best for most babies. It's the closest alternative we have to human breast milk.
3. Use an "iron-fortified" formula until your baby is at least one year of age.
4. There are three general varieties of formula to choose from ready-to-use, liquid concentrate and powder. There is no benefit to your baby in choosing one over the other, but there may be benefits for you related to convenience and cost.
If you have additional questions, I'd suggest you check out the American Academy of Pediatrics Web site.
Good luck, Soon-To-Be-Mom. Give the baby a kiss from me, OK?
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Blowjob From A Prostitute Do I Need To Get Tested For HIV
- Chances Of Catching AIDS From Blowjob From A Prostitute
- Coated Tongue After Topping Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Cold Feet After Erotic Massage Worried I Have HIV
- Dry Cough After Sucking Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Balls After Touching Sperm Sign Of HIV AIDS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.