Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

A few questions for the WooHoo King
Dec 13, 2004

Hey there Dr. Bob (aka the WooHoo King). Thanks for taking the time to answer all the questions on here. This is by far the best site and it has helped me tremendously to cope with my anxieties. You are truly a special guy. Thank you.

Here's my situation. Five weeks ago I received unprotected oral sex (I was the insertive) from an unknown person of unknown HIV status for literally 5 seconds. I pulled away because I was freaked out. I am a married man and this is the first (and last) time I've ever engaged in a risky behavior like this. But the situation presented itself and I fed my urge.

Like I said it's been five weeks and I've had a very mild cough, mild sore throat, weight loss for a few days but regained, diarreah for a couple of days and then stopped. No swollen glands. I know, I know...none of this is HIV related and I know that stress and anxiety perpetuate these symptoms.

I'm really trying to keep my wits about me and keep rationalizing that the odds are hugely in my favor. But like everyone else that writes you I would love to here you say it.

Here's my questions: 1.) What is your advice to managing stress and anxiety as I wait for my 3 month window? It seems like every time I have a twinge in my body or an ache, I get on the internet and see if it's a symptom.

2.) I will test at 3 months. But should I test at 12 weeks (84 days) from exposure or go past 90 days? What is a good number?

3.) With my above mentioned exposure situation, would a negative test at 3 months be conclusive? Would you recommend testing at 6 months?

4.) I've read your replies on here regarding vaginal sex carries a .1 to a .2 percent chance of transmission. What is the percentage for insertive?

Again, thanks for your time. Even if you don't answer this it is theraputic to write it all out. Take care and I'd love to donate to your foundation...how can a guy do that?

TBG

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi TBG,

All this worry over five seconds of insertive oral??? I'll try to be as brief as your exposure, OK?

1. Stop symptom searching. Get counseling for irrational fears to help you cope with the waiting during the waiting period.

2. 84 or 90, either is fine. Your risk is nearly nonexistent.

3. Three months is plenty. Your risk is nearly nonexistent, as I said above.

4. There is no statistical estimation because the risk is so small.

5. Donation information for my foundation can be found at www.concertedeffort.org.

Now, TBG, you really did know all this information before you heard it directly form me, didn't you? Of course you did.

Relax, guy. You'll be fine.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Dr. Bob ain't no Slob I'd put Frascino in My Camino
Next
best formula for baby

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.