Is My Doctor Crazy?

I had oral sex with no cum on two occassions and protected anal sex where I was the top (the condom broke but I noticed right away and started anew with a fresh one). My partner was HIV+ Five days later, I went to the doctor who gave me a RNA test and prescribed me Sustiva and Trizivir. After reading your wonderful website I think he is a quack. Looks like the expensive test he took was a few days premature and that I am going to have some serious side effects from this medicine. What should I do?!

Well, maybe not a complete quack, but perhaps not as well informed as one would like. I would suggest you seek out the advice of an HIV specialist who can more completely evaluate your true level of risk and advise you about options.

Based on what you've written, I would not have recommended PEP. PEP initiated within a few hours of exposure is the most effective. Delays of longer than 72 hours are considered ineffective for prophylaxis. Even if PEP was to be recommended, I would not recommend a four-drug regimen (Trizivir and Sustiva). So what should you do? Get a second opinion from a non-quack HIV specialist ASAP. If you are writing from the U.S., certified HIV specialists in your area can be located by searching The American Academy of HIV Medicine's Web site at www.aahivm.org. Send a copy of your specialist's report to your other quacker, I mean doctor! Hopefully he'll learn something along the way.

Good luck!

Hey Doc, You OK ? Where are you?
I'm BAAAACK