permission to woo hoo, question about home access test

Hi Dr. Bob. First off I just want to say that you are a great person for what you do and this forum is great. It help me get through a difficult time over the last month. I have e-mailed you a few times in the past few weeks but never posted. I do understand you are a busy man and cannot answer every e-mail. My quick background is that I had unprotected vaginal intercourse with a girl of unknow hiv status(dumbest thing I've ever done)a little over two years ago. This incident has always been in the back of my head since that time, but it has been a busy time in my life, I've gotten engaged, moved and started a knew job. During that time I was never sick, not once and was always to scared to get an Hiv test. About a month ago, I started to experience a lack of appetite. I immediatly freaked out and thought it was Hiv. I read all the symptoms for Hiv and believed I had most of them. I was scared to death. Went to the doctor, normal cbc and bloodwork. They sent me for an upper GI. That wasn't good enough for me. I finally had the nerve and bought a home access test. I recieved the results today and it was negative. My question is that I know home access only tests for Hiv I. Should I also now be tested for Hiv II or is this conclusive? I'm am sending a $100 donation, I wish it could me more but funds are short right now with a wedding coming up. Once that is over, I will send more. Thanks again Dr. Bob.

HIV-2 is another human retrovirus that can cause immune deficiency due to depletion of CD4 cells. However, it is found primarily only in West Africa. Compared to HIV-1, HIV-2 is not as easily transmitted. I don't know where you are writing from, but HIV-2 testing is generally only recommended for:

1. natives of endemic areas (West Africa, Angola and Mozambique)

2. needle-sharing and sex partners of persons form endemic areas

3. sex partners or needle-sharing partners of persons with HIV-2 infection

4. persons who received transfusions or nonsterile injections in endemic areas

5. children of women at risk for HIV-2 infection.

From what you have written, I doubt you fall into any of the above categories. Consequently, I would not feel HIV-2 testing would be warranted or necessary.

Thank you for your generous donation. It's not only urgently needed, but very warmly appreciated.

Congratulations and WOO-HOO! On both your negative HIV test results and upcoming wedding!

Stay well.

RE: PLEASE DR. BOB, 3rd TIME, MILITARY GUY PLEADING FOR HELP
Does a Sulfa allergy mean I have HIV?