Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hollow bore needle stick
Nov 18, 2004

Hello Dr.

I'm just writing to say that I too was infected by a hollow bore needle stick accident. People think it can't happen this way, but as we are living proof, it absolutely can.

So people should know to beware. Even if you are already careful about needles and you're informed about risks of occupational exposure, HIV can still enter your body beyond your control. So that means we should never be in a room with a needle full of HIV positive blood. That's why I think only robots should do surgical procedures on HIV positive people. For a person to do this, it is just suicide. Clearly. I mean, take you for example. You're one of the most informed people about HIV information in the world. And even YOU were infected. That means the way in which you were infected must have either been a high risk or an absolute freak occurrence. Imagine if you had that kind of luck playing the lottery. You'd be richer than rich.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Mine would definitely qualify for freak accident, not high risk. Sorry, I really do not agree with you. If I need my appendix out, I really don't want Robbie Robot wielding the scalpel! Many occupations have associated risks. By your logic, firemen should never go near burning buildings, because they might get hurt. Physicians know their risks. Those risks come with the privilege of the position and the duty to help others in need.

Dr. Bob

Previous
6th time donation on the way
Next
Dr. Frascino I'm sure your very busy...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.