Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Husband diagnosed as positive!
Nov 18, 2004

I HAVE BEEN MARRIED FOR 13YRS.MY HUSBAND WAS SERIOUSLY ILL IN MAY 2004 AND WAS DIAGNOSED HIV+.OUR LAST SEXTUAL CONTACT WAS 2WEEKS BEFORE THE DIAGNOSES.HIS CD4 COUNT WAS 13.I WAS DIAGNOSED -VE.WE HAVE HAD UN PROTECTED SEX ALL THOSE YRS ,EVEN WHEN I'M MENTRUAL. 1.HOW COME I'M -VE 2.IS POSSIBLE THE TYPE OF VIRUS HE'S GOT CANNOT BE PASSED TO ME OR IS IT MY IMMUNE SYSTEM JUST RESISTED 3.HIS VIRAL LOAD HAS BECOME UNDETECTABLE,IS IT OK TO HAVE UNPROTECTED SEX SINCE WE HAD IT ALL THESE YEARS

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

1. Not every HIV exposure leads to HIV transmission. There are many factors involved. The risk for HIV transmission per episode of receptive vaginal exposure with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is estimated at 0.1% to 0.2%. Consequently, statistically, it is indeed possible you have remained HIV negative, despite repeated exposures. You've also been extremely lucky!

2. As I mentioned, there are many factors involved with HIV transmission. Certainly viral strain, route of exposure, amount of infected fluid involved and immune integrity, among many other factors, come into play. However, to specifically answer your question, no, it is not possible that your husband's virus cannot be transmitted to others. Remember he contracted it from someone else, right? And no, your immune system is not resistant to HIV. Don't rely on false hope and past experience to assume you cannot become infected by having unsafe sex with your HIV-positive husband!

3. No, having an undetectable viral load does not preclude the possibility of HIV transmission. Yes, it may decrease the risk somewhat, but it most certainly does not eliminate the risk. Review the archives for additional details.

My advice is that you immediately begin using latex condoms and that you get HIV tests at three months from your last potential exposure (unsafe sex). If that three-month test is negative, repeat the test at six months, as you've had a very significant exposure with a person confirmed to be HIV positive.

Good luck! We'll all keep our fingers crossed your tests will remain negative. Also make sure your husband knows about this site. Hopefully he'll find it helpful as well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
BEST WAY TO SCREW?
Next
Doctor Bob! In Iraq and need help! Please!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.