Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

donating to the cause
Nov 4, 2004

Dr. Bob

I plan to make a donation and first of all would like it to go towards a cure not education. Is there a way to do this? Also I read this site alot and was worried about a bj recieved years ago from a pro and then came down with a pretty bad case of the flu (winter time). I have read some other doctors from other sites response to this and one said that the person had a better chance of spontaneously combusting than to catch hiv this way you said about a week ago that there are some anectodal reports in literature about possible infection via this route but nothing proven. Since there is also anectodal evidence in literature of people spontaneously combusting would you use that scenario as well or do you think there is a greater risk? Given one time insertive exposure that lasted about 5 min no stds and circumsized over 5 years ago as a doc would you think you needed to be tested?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The question is not what I would do, but rather what you are going to do. We all engage in calculated risk analyses every day. Do we drive 60 in a 50-mile-per-hour zone? Do we fly in an airplane, ride an amusement park rollercoaster, vote Republican, whatever? Regarding sex, we each must decide what level of risk is acceptable based on individual comfort level and medical facts. For some folks, a "theoretical risk" is too high and they may feel the need to be HIV tested. For others, this level of risk may be considered acceptable in the grand scope of things. Only you can decide. Yes, some "experts" would state HIV testing is not warranted for a one-time brief insertive oral exposure with a partner of unknown HIV status. Others would say that since there could have been extenuating circumstances and since there is at least a theoretical risk, if you remain worried, you should get tested.

Certainly it seems this blowjob from five years ago is still on your mind. That could mean it was an unforgettable humdinger of a hummer or it could mean you remain concerned at some level about HIV. Some experts would even recommend testing merely to calm longstanding unjustified fears, even if they felt the HIV transmission risk was too low to warrant testing for diagnostic purposes.

So, my friend, the choice remains yours. But I certainly wouldn't want you to worry about it, because if you do, you just might spontaneously combust.

Stay well. Thanks for your willingness to make a donation to my foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Will I Ever Be Done Testing
Next
Real Risk - Please Respond - Transmission via parasite?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.